Thursday, November 02, 2006

And this is where my job starts to suck...

Ok, I'm kidding about it sucking, I still LOVE it, but yesterday I had to talk to a 16 year old boy who had beat his 33 day old baby so hard it landed her in ICU for many weeks. To the point where the doctors thought she wouldn't make it. Yeah. Nice. The most unbelievable part was the fact that he is absolutely denying it claiming that it had to be his mother. All the evidence points to him (you know, his confession to the cops) and the fact that there is no way she could have done this to herself (his initial response). It is just so f*cking sad, people! I talked to him for about an hour yesterday and he is one of this people that has absolutely NO remorse whatsoever and all he cares about is getting out of detention (he's been in there 99 days). I tried everything to get him to take responsibility for this, but it was like talking to Ted Bundy. Cold, callous and downright scary.

His court date was yesterday to determine what the judge was going to do with him. He already plead guilty about a month ago, but claims it was only to get a lighter sentence. He wanted to be put on probation and released to his grandmother (who is a complete f*cking idiot) and then get treatment in the community. He was SO POSITIVE that the judge was going to let him go home even after I repeatedly told him that I felt he was being overly optimistic. He didn't believe me. Unfortunately for him, the judge placed him in the custody of Oklahoma Juvenile Affairs where he will remain in custody at an inpatient treatment center until he is 20. He was not a happy camper. Me on the other hand, a little happy. And no I don't think this kind of a thing makes me unable to do my job properly. I am simply there to get information and then discuss it with the lawyer. I don't have to stand up and defend him. Thank God for that.

Oh and by the way, his baby is in foster care now and the state is attempting to terminate his parental rights in April. Heavy shit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is downright DISTURBING!
God, that makes me so sad.

Anonymous said...

What a freak! I hope you are on a first name basis only with these people in case one really flies off the handle a little more than they already are and attempts to find you after they are 'rehabilitated.' On second thought, a pseudonym is even a better idea.
Thank God we did not come from that kind of life - it is incomprehensible.

Anonymous said...

Ugh- that's unspeakably awful. God Bless you, girl. Like you've mentioned, if you can even make the slightest glimmer of a difference- you've done more than most of us can for young people. -Camille

ginny said...

Maja- all hail you finally commented!!! Wade and I are unlisted and I truly can't worry about that. For the most part these kids are in trouble for stealing cars, this case is definately a rarity!